Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Photo Of Haiti



1. The scale of this picture is what attracted me to this image. To me it successfully conveys the extent of the devastation caused by the earthquake.
2. What makes this image a strong photograph is how much it shows. It is not showing just one building, but an entire mountainside (or hillside) of houses completely demolished by the earthquake. Contrary to the devastation, many of the trees that dot the landscape are still standing. In a way they symbolize the resiliency of nature.
3. There is no single point that my eyes are drawn to. In fact it is more like an area of the photograph that captures my attention. The expanse of destroyed houses s framed by trees and stands out from the distant background.
4. This photograph tells the story of the earthquake in a broader sense. It shows countless houses demolished, but shows no humans. This gives it an eery feeling and tells of the countless dead.
5. Since there are no humans present in this photo I will describe the view point of the still standing radio tower
"I still can't believe how this happened. In a few moments this sprawling village was utterly destroyed. Now it is just a ghost town. Wood is left to rot and crumble, animals run wild, and I...I am left here to rust."

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Geno. Your thoughts are very eloquent and to the point. Well done.

    ReplyDelete